Sunday, December 4, 2016

Residing in a lil heart

[Post from 2012 which I never posted. Posting it today nevertheless.] It was new years first day and got a a great gift. My ex-roomie told me something that meant a lot to me. 5 years back ... I was interning with one of the companies that resides in silicon valley. I had the joy of earning, the joy of spending what was earned and the joy of not being alone, i.e. with a warm roomie, who was also a mother. She was the mom of the then five year old kid. They are a joyful family even though they were away from the third member of their family. By nature I love such warm families. My roomie too was working for a good company and during day time her 5 year old son Uday would be at school or day care. She would mostly work from home or have her mom come to take care of Uday. I was given my own room in the house and they would occupy rest of the tiny apartment. When I first moved into her house, I had nothing to start with. No utensils, no food. It had not even occurred to me that I needed to think about those as the previous two years had passed by without much effort as me and my roommates had moved with everything we needed and life was a cake walk apart from the Master's course we were doing. So Bhagya my current roommate asked out of concern for my unpreparedness, what I planned to do. When I sounded so unsure, she offered to make me meals and I could pay her. She was barely trying to make ends meet and paying for her husbands medical degree then. It was a great offer and since I was earning, I instantly agreed. Uday is a good kid. Polite, mannered, and raised with the values an indian kid would. His mom would generally ask of Uday to stay away from her roommates as they might not prefer being interfered with. So when I started eating with the family everyday, which was unusual with her other roommates, Uday thought the rule of staying away dint apply this time. Initially this bothered me a little bit because I always felt obligated to play with kids when they are around. This caused this "play time" to creep into my relaxation time after a long days work. I would strictly close door with a heavy heart after playing for some time. Uday found this play time for heart so joyful, he started looking forward to it. He started caring for me, bringing me things his mother would make and telling me about his day. Slowly this play time grew on me, and was a pleasant time. The day I was leaving, Uday cried. It broke my heart and his mom was going to let me stay longer if her other roommate wasn't scheduled to come. Internship got over and I left Silicon valley and went back to college, graduated and joined a company. Me and my roomie were in touch as I would often ask her about Uday. Once she wrote to me, saying she was expecting and Uday was about to have a little sister. She also told me that Uday wanted to name her by my name. It was the sweetest thing I had experienced, knowing Uday missed me so much he was hoping to find me in his little sister. I have never been loved so much by a friend to try to find me in others. I will never forget this and Uday and his family and hope they find the best in life.

No comments: